The Canvas internal discussion tool is a customizable forum that makes communication and conversation engaging.
Discussions allow you to engage with students in meaningful and broad discussions by making communication interactive, discussions either focused or threaded, and the addition of multimedia effortless. You and your students can start and contribute to as many discussion topics as desired, and participate in conversations with the entire class or in assigned groups. Discussions can also be created as an assignment for grading purposes, or simply serve as a forum for course-related topics. Go further with the Discussion tool by enabling podcast feeds within discussions, embedding images and videos, or adding lecture material directly from your course.
- Focused or Threaded Discussions allow for relatively short-lived interactions or discussions with replies within replies.
- Create graded discussions for everyone, individual students, course sections, or course groups.
- Create discussions with varied due dates for different course sections, or delay their posting until a defined date.
- Add course content directly from your course (pages, files, images, videos).
- Pin discussion threads that you want your students to see at the top of the Discussions page.
- Instructors can require students to post before they are able to view replies from their peers to encourage original thinking and prevent similar responses.
- Instructors have the ability to moderate discussions by editing or deleting replies that are inappropriate or otherwise unwanted.
- Students have the option to reply to discussion topics with text, video or audio comments.
- Students can review and provide feedback on contributions made by their classmates.
- Discussions can also require peer reviews and have a rubric attached, in addition to being graded.
- There is currently no way for students to reply to discussion posts anonymously.
- Discussion posts that are not pinned cannot be reordered.
- If instructors would like to give students the option to create discussion topics or edit or delete discussion posts, this can be enabled in Settings within the Course Details tab under More Options.
- For group discussions, instructors will need to make sure that the Group Assignment option is selected in the discussion settings, as this option cannot be changed once students reply with a comment.
- Graded discussions can be marked within Canvas SpeedGrader for better readability.
|Drop by the Arts Learning Centre for a chat in Buchanan C105A|
|Contact ArtsISIT email@example.com for assistance or a demonstration!|
|Ask us a question by filling out the form below.|