How to Send Large Files through Email
Parent Page(s): File Management & CollaborationUBC FASmail EmailSharing Files for Administration
If you want to send a file through FASmail that exceeds the 50MB maximum, you can use Workspace to work around that limit.
UBC Workspace synchronizes one folder on your computer and allows you to customize the way users can access that folder: view only, view and edit, or full administrative access. You can also generate temporary URLs for specific files so that users can download them directly from Workspace.
See below to decide which service is right for you.
UBC Workspace is an on-campus cloud based file sharing service that shares files via folders, both internally and externally with colleagues, partners and clients, from any supported device.
- Features: Workspace allows you to access and access your files and folders from any device, including computers, smartphones, and tablets. Users can be given varying levels of access, ranging from view-only, view and edit, or full administrative access.
- Size: Up to 20GB.
- Time: Files will be available as long as they are stored in your Workspace folder.
- Privacy: UBC Workspace is hosted at UBC, in compliance with federal and university policies on information security. This means that sensitive information (Personally Identifiable Information) can be uploaded to this service.
- Registration: Not required. Access Workspace through the link above and enter your CWL information.
How to Use
1. Click the "Access UBC Workspace" icon above to be taken to the web portal. Enter "UBC" in the "Group ID" field, and your CWL login information in the "Username" and "Password" fields.
2. For the selected file, click the link icon to the very right under the "Actions" column.
3. Copy the link in the top box and email it to whoever needs access to the file. For sensitive information, select the "Password Protect" option. You can also limit the number of days that the file will be available for access and/or limit the number of downloads.