What is Workspace?
- Why: You want to customize how other people access your files, and you want to store your files to the UBC network.
- Features: Store up to 20GB and you can share file or folder access for your team. It is accessible through an online portal and smartphone apps (available for iOS, Android).
- Pricing: Free for UBC employees for up to 20GB. Paid options for additional space.
How do I start using Workspace?
1. Check Your Eligibility
Workspace is currently available to UBC staff and faculty with active FASmail accounts. Your employee number must also be associated with your Campus-Wide Login (CWL) account in order for you to access Workspace.
See the how-to guide for instructions on how to begin the process or to verify your association status.
2. Install Workspace
See the installation guides below for instructions on how to access Workspace through your desktop, web browser, and/or mobile device.
Using the Web Browser
- Go to the UBC Workspace – Self Service Portal.
- Enter “UBC” as the Group ID.
- Enter your your Enterprise Active Directory (EAD) login credentials into the username and password fields. This is usually the same as your Campus-Wide Login (CWL).
- Download the VMware Content Locker app from the Apple iTunes store or the Google Play Store.
- Enter the following information:
- Server address: https://files.workspace.ubc.ca
- Group ID: UBC
- Login: Enter your your Enterprise Active Directory (EAD) login credentials into the username and password fields. This is usually the same as your Campus-Wide Login (CWL).
How can I use Workspace?
|Backing Up Important Documents||Workspace is a great option for backing up your work files to the UBC network. Storing important documents on the cloud means that they stay safe in the event of computer errors or physical disasters, such as viruses, disk degradation, or theft.|
|Working from Home or Abroad||Workspace’s robust collection of service platforms means that you can access your files anywhere, anytime. With desktop programs, mobile applications, and web portals, you can work on your documents from home or abroad, and synchronize them whenever you connect to the Internet.|
|Saving and Sharing Research Projects||When managing research projects, you need to handle large databases while considering different levels of access for your research assistants and colleagues. Workspace allows you to customize file and folder access to different tiers: read-only, read and modify, or full admin access, which gives you full control over saving and sharing your research files.|
|Sending Large Files through Email||Email and inbox limits can restrict the size of your file attachments. With Workspace, you can generate download links that allow you to securely send large files through email. Privacy measures include password protection, limited downloads, and expiration dates for your Workspace files.|
What are the advantages and limitations?
For detailed instructions on how to use the web client, desktop sync, and mobile app, see the how-to guide from UBC IT. For more information on how to use the online Self Service Portal, see the User Guide.
If you have any questions about Workspace, visit the FAQ or message us through the contact form for support.